Home » » Definition of Checking for understading, some expression to checking understanding, and it's examples..

Definition of Checking for understading, some expression to checking understanding, and it's examples..

Written By Juliant Luber on Rabu, 27 Agustus 2014 | 20.36


Checking for understanding.

Checking for understanding.

When we are having a conversation with someone, We always want to make sure that we understand
what each other is saying. Right? It is a good conversational strategy to check, from time to time, if the person you are talking to understand what you are saying.

When, on the other hand, being asked if you understand what the other person is saying, you should respond honestly - that is, if you don't understand, say so, and ask the person to repeat.
Below are some useful expressions which you can use.


When you want to make sure someone understands you. 


-
(Do you) know what I'm talking about?
- (Do you) understand what I'm saying? 
- (Do you) know what I'm saying?
- (Do you) know what I mean?
- Does that make any sense?
- Do you understand?
- Do you follow me? 

- Are you following me?
- Are you with me (so far)?
- With me so far? 

- Have you got it? 
- Any questions?
- You know?
- You see?
- Got it?
- Right?

When you understand what someone is saying. 


- I understand what you're saying. 
- I hear what you're saying.
- I see what you're saying.
- I know what you mean.
- I see what you mean. 

- I get it./I got it.
- I understand.
- I'm with you.
- I hear you. 

- I know.

- I see.
- Gotcha. (Informal)

When you don't understand what someone is saying. @(^.^)@
 

- I'm not sure I know what you mean.
- I'm not sure I get what you mean.
- (I'm sorry.) I don't understand.
- I'm not sure I get your point.
- I don't quite follow you.
- I'm not following you.
- What was that again?

- What do you mean?
- I don't follow you.   
- I don't get it.


Examples:

Dialog 1:
(Between a father and his son,)
Son: I want to quit school.
Dad: Are you serious?
Son: Yeah! I'm smart, I don't need to go to university...
Dad: Listen. I don't care how smart you are, if you don't have a good education, you can't get a good job these days. Do you know what I mean?
Son: Yeah, I guess.
Dad: Education is the most thing for you right now...
Son: OK, I hear you.


Dialog 2:
(between a computer instructor and a student)
Instructor: To send an email, you just have to click on this button, type in the email address, or you can select an address from the address book. Do you follow me?
Student: I don't get it. What address book?

Okay buddies.. Are you get the point in this material? Hmmm or may be you wanna add this note, it's okay. @(^.^)@
Share this article :

8 komentar:

Sonposor Link

 
Support : My Facebook | Your Link | Your Link
Copyright © 2013. Juliant English Course - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger